(213) 482-2040

February 28, 1917 – February 28, 2010

The Rev. David Metsch Paisley, founding vicar of Prince of Peace Church, Woodland Hills, died on Sunday, February 28, 2010 (his 93rd birthday) at Kaiser Hospital in Woodland Hills.

Survivors include his wife of 67 years, Mary Katherine (Kay), nee McCall; their children, Peter Paisley and Susie Blasman; and seven grandchildren.

A memorial service to celebrate his life will be held at Prince of Peace at 3 p.m. on Monday, March 15. A reception will follow in the Family Center.

After leaving Prince of Peace in 1972, Paisley served congregations in Pear Harborl and Kalakeua, Hawaii, until his retirement in 1979. He returned to Southern California and served as a supply priest for congregations in Fillmore and Thousand Oaks.

In addition to founding the Woodland Hills congregation in 1959, Paisley oversaw the purchase of the five-acre parcel of land that is now the Prince of Peace campus, and was instrumental in the construction of the church and the building now known as Paisley Hall.

Before moving to the Diocese of Los Angeles as vicar of St. Martin in-the-Fields Church, Twentynine Palms, Paisley served churches in the dioceses of Michigan and Hawaii. He worked as an engineer before being ordained in 1951.

He was active in the Navy League and Rotary International.

David Paisley was born in East Liverpool, Ohio, on Feb. 28, 1917. He studied at the Episcopal Theological School at Cambridge, Mass. (1952) and at Ohio State University at Columbus (1948).