The Rt. Rev. J. Jon Bruno named one priest and two laypeople to the “Order of Angels” and 16 as honorary canons of the Cathedral Center of St. Paul during a banquet May 9 during the annual Clergy Conference, held this year at the Mission Inn in Riverside.
The Order of Angels, established by Bruno at the beginning of his tenure as bishop, honors those who have given extraordinary service over many years to the Diocese of Los Angeles.
The Order of Angels, established by Bruno at the beginning of his tenure as bishop, honors those who have given extraordinary service over many years to the Diocese of Los Angeles. Named to this order were:
- The Rev. Canon Kelli Grace Kurtz, vicar of St. John’s Church, La Verne, chair of the Program Group on Missions and longtime leader in diocesan youth ministries;
- Canon David Tumilty, bishop’s executive for operations and chief of staff throughout Bruno’s episcopate;
- Canon Robert Williams, longtime communication staff member, former director of communication for The Episcopal Church, and the diocese’s current canon for community relations.
The title “canon” dates from medieval times to denote a key advisor to a bishop or a cathedral community. Named as honorary canons May 9 were:
- Clare Zabala Bangao, coordinator for missions, who has served in several other capacities at the Cathedral Center;
- Anilin Collado, human resources director, who also has filled several roles over many years as a member of diocesan staff;
- Stephen Bruce, lay leader, spiritual director, and husband of Bishop Suffragan Diane Jardine Bruce;
- The Rev. Charleen Crean, deacon for vocations, member of the diocese’s Deacons Council and newly named archdeacon of the diocese;
- The Rev. John Crean, current priest-in-charge of Christ Church, Ontario, who has shepherded several congregations through interim periods;
- The Rev. Michael Cunningham, rector of St. Mary’s Church, Lompoc, a former administrator for the diocese, and leader of the Red Shirt Project for 16 years;
- The Rev. William Dunn, vicar of St. Stephen’s Church, Beaumont, and dean of Deanery 7 (Inland Empire area);
- Hank Gatlin, member of St. Francis’ Church, Palos Verdes Estates, member of the Deacons Council and newly named associate to the archdeacon of the diocese;
- The Rev. Mark Hallahan, rector of St. Paul’s, Church, Pomona;
- Janet Kawamoto, for 12 years editor of The Episcopal News, who has worked with the diocesan publication since 1981 as reporter, writer, editor, columnist, and member and chair of the editorial board;
- The Ven. Joanne Leslie, peace and justice activist and retiring archdeacon of the diocese;
- The Rev. Robert Martinez, vicar of Church of the Magdalene, Glendale;
- The Very Rev. Melissa McCarthy, vicar of Church of the Epiphany, Oak Park, deputy to General Convention, former chair of the Standing Committee and newly appointed canon to the ordinary for the Rev. Canon John H. Taylor, bishop coadjutor-elect;
- Kathleen Hannigan O’Connor, lay leader at St. John Chrysostom Church, Rancho Santa Margarita, and wife of Bishop-elect Taylor;
- The Rev. Mary Trainor, rector of St. Joseph’s Church, Buena Park, and a former managing editor of The Episcopal News;
- Abigail Urquidi, executive assistant to Bishop Bruno for the past decade and a former staff member at Hillsides.