In the context of his address to Diocesan Convention, Bishop J. Jon Bruno this afternoon requested the Standing Committee, with his consent, to call for the election in 2016 of the seventh Bishop of Los Angeles, to succeed Bishop Bruno upon his retirement at age 72 in 2018.
December 5, 2014
This afternoon, during Diocesan Convention’s 119th annual meeting, I requested that the Standing Committee, with my consent and in accordance with the canons, call for a bishop coadjutor to be elected when Diocesan Convention meets for its 121st annual meeting Dec. 1 – 2, 2016.
This timeframe provides for an in-depth search process, and for one program year in which the bishop coadjutor and I will work together before I retire in late 2018, having reached age 72, retirement age for clergy church-wide.
The Rev. Canon Julian Bull, head of Campbell Hall Episcopal School in North Hollywood, has agreed to chair the search committee, with members to be named in early 2015.
The search committee will set its own calendar along these lines:
- Search committee named and begins meeting in early 2015.
- Search committee advises diocese on procedures and profile.
- Search committee receives nominations and reviews nominees.
- Search committee determines date for announcing candidates.
- Diocesan convention elects bishop coadjutor Dec. 1 – 2, 2016.
- Bishops and standing committees church-wide provide consent.
- Liturgical rites (and/or ordination to episcopate) late Spring 2017.
- Bishops coadjutor and diocesan collaborate.
- New bishop diocesan to preside at Diocesan Convention 2018.
It remains my privilege and honor to serve you as bishop diocesan, and I look forward to our ongoing shared ministry still ahead. I ask your prayers for the upcoming search process and for God’s guidance for us all in electing the seventh bishop of Los Angeles.
Together in Christ,
The Rt. Rev. J. Jon Bruno
Sixth Bishop of Los Angeles