During the Dec. 5 dinner at Diocesan Convention, Bishop J. Jon Bruno named eight new honorary canons of the Cathedral Center of St. Paul and honored two diocesan officers upon their retirement. A ninth canon was named during the convention’s second day of business on Dec. 6.
- The Rev. Canon Mark Asman has been rector of Trinity, Santa Barbara, since 1994. He will retire in 2016.
- The Rev. Canon Rob Bethancourt, has served as rector of Emmanuel, Fullerton, since 1995; he previously was assistant there beginning in 1983.
- The Rev. Canon Eric Law, executive director of the Kaleidoscope Institute. Law, the author of several books on cultural competence and reconciliation ministries, was ordained a priest in 1985 by Bishop Robert C. Rusack.
- Canon Ted Forbath is chief financial officer of the Diocese of Los Angeles since 2002. He previously worked for the Institute for Urban Development, an institution of the diocese.
- Canon Luis Garibay is building superintendent of the Cathedral Center of St. Paul. He has served on the diocesan staff since 1994.
- Canon Roger Leachman is longtime judge of elections at Diocesan Convention, and a lay leader at St. Wilfrid’s Church, Huntington Beach.
- Canon James Blair White is co-chair of the Commission on Ministry, chair of the diocese’s deputation to General Convention deputation chair, and a lay leader at All Saints, Pasadena.
- Canon Lynn Headley, member of St. Michael & All Angels Church, Corona del Mar, is diocesan chair for the United Thank Offering and served as chair of volunteers for the General Convention of the Episcopal Church, held in Anaheim in 2009. Headley was in the Holy Land on pilgrimage during the convention; Bruno reached her there by phone to confer the honor.
- The Rev. Canon Betsy Anderson recently retired after serving since 1997 as parish associate at St. Matthew’s, Pacific Palisades. Anderson was ordained in 1998 by Frederick H. Borsch. Bruno presented her certificate and canon’s cross on Dec. 6, as she was unable to attend the Friday dinner.
Bruno also presented framed certificates of appreciation to Canon Larry Sawyer, retiring treasurer of the diocese, and Canon John Shiner, retiring chancellor. Sawyer, a member of St. Clement’s Church, San Clemente, and a former longtime member of St. Luke’s of-the-Mountains, La Crescenta, has been treasurer since 2006. Shiner, a member of St. Matthew’s Church, Pacific Palisades, and a partner in the Bryan Cave law firm, has served as chanceller for more than a decade. He was the diocese’s lead attorney in dealing with several major property issues.
Bruno announced that the Rev. Kirby Smith has been named treasurer-elect of the diocese. Shiner’s successor will be appointed in January. The Rev. James Prendergast and Canon Rick Zevnik will serve as vice-chancellors.